Monday 29 February 2016

#Monday Moments & mentions of Broken Heart Syndrome

My #Monday Moments are about Broken Heart Syndrome by Susie Tate.

In between heavier research reading I've been romping through easy reads. Broken Heart Syndrome by Susie Tate is one of these chicklit books that's a breeze.

There’s a lot to love about this book, though I’d not want to be admitted to any hospital that Frankie works at for fear of a mis-diagnosis by her doctor friends! The shenanigans in the hospital are humorous reading, though would be pretty unsettling in real life. 

Frankie is very professional yet emotionally screwed up: her friend Dylan is less professional and also emotionally wrecked in a different way. The dialogue is witty; sometimes Lou is definitely laugh out loud funny.  Ash might quote ‘to err is human’, or some other wonderful epithet from his magnificent store, to lighten sensitive situations—he’s a great character though a bit repetitive. Tom, the main male character is a lovely man, an easy protagonist to like even if he is a bit dense and arrogant times. 

I don’t warm so well to the character of Frankie, the main female protagonist. Her lack of self confidence doesn’t change much over the course of the story yet she’s more empathetic to the awkward patients. 

Some aspects are not very believable – and as an ex primary teacher I’d have been sacked on the spot for something that’s mentioned in the story, though I realise it’s part of the humour. 


This is not what I'd call an intense hospital romance but it is an amusing one. I rated it with 4 stars. 
Slainthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)